Monday, November 15, 2010

Mike Absalom Artist's Statement.

Mike Absalom Artist's Statement. February 2010
In front of the canvas I stand. I move my arms. I flex my fingers. I stare.
Time, that terrible and incomprehensible enigma, fades to irrelevance and
leaks away slowly, vanishing under the studio door. Paint flows and moves, the clouds of charcoal rise, fall, coalesce. The void is before me. Darkness covers the face of the earth. Out of that darkness figures emerge, blinking, arranging themselves randomly here and there on the picture plane at first without intent or passion, composing themselves like anonymous crowds moving through the Metro. They appear in the paint from elsewhere and jostle for meaning. If there were a Me I would say they come from beyond Me. I have not invited them. They introduce themselves, borrowing my name with an abrupt lack of etiquette, and having taken up their stations on the canvas they invite me to recognise them. They invite you too, viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment