Monday, November 15, 2010


8. The Ancestor (A Visit to the National Museum, Poznań)
Przodek (Wizyta w Muzeum Narodowym w Poznaniu)
Akryl na płótnie 80 x80 cm
Mike Absalom 2010


After a visit to the National Museum in Poznań I ponder the role of family
and national history in my life and in the lives of those I observe around
me. A seated, contemplative figure rests within a picture frame on a wall
looking out at mice and men (and women).


Moja wizyta w poznańskim Muzeum Narodowym była inspiracją do rozważań na temat roli rodziny i historii narodowej w moim życiu i w życiu otaczających mnie ludzi. Zamyślona postać na krześle na obrazie na ścianie spogląda na myszy i ludzi.



Looking into the past through the binoculars of my tribal prejudices, I make the mistake of using a Gorgon telescope. Now I am a statue. I am a petrified forest. I am a stone gargoyle. (A male figure is separated by a frame from the shapes that swirl around him in thick impasto. His body, unwritten on, is colourless. Their forms show colour. Unobtrusively small black mice infiltrate the scene.)

Spoglądając w przeszłość przez lornetkę moich plemiennych uprzedzeń, popełniam błąd, używając teleskopu Gorgony. Teraz jestem posągiem. Jestem skamieniałym lasem. Kamiennym gargulcem. (Postać mężczyzny jest oddzielona od kształtów, wirujących wokół niego, namalowanych impastem. Jego ciało, niezapisane, nie ma koloru, w przeciwieństwie do wirujących kształtów. Małe, czarne myszy śledzą całą scenę.)

No comments:

Post a Comment